Here at One Mag Smile, we’re self-proclaimed health nuts and proud of it. And we love sharing our passion and knowledge with our wonderful patients whenever we can.
We often do that by talking about the nitty gritty of dental hygiene, treatments and procedures. But it’s also nice to step back a little and think about our health from a more philosophical perspective.
That’s just what these wise quotes inspires us to do and we hope they do the same for you…
1. “Some things you have to do every day. Eating seven apples on Saturday night instead of one a day just isn’t going to get the job done.” ~Jim Rohn
Many types of medical professionals surely see this, but dentists are commonly met with patients who try to take exceptionally good care of their teeth in the days or weeks leading up to their check-up, sometimes even to excess. But brushing 6 times a day and flossing after every meal for a few days for a period a couple times a year is not enough. To truly maintain great oral health, we must be committed to healthy practices consistently throughout the year and our lives.
2. “Health is like money, we never have a true idea of its value until we lose it.” ~Josh Billings
Like many blessings in life, it’s common for people to take their health for granted. When we’re kids, we don’t worry about time or lifestyle choices making us unhealthy. But as the years go by, our choices begin to have consequences, good or bad, on our physical health. And, unfortunately, it’s often not until negative choices rear their ugly heads that many people learn the true value of their health.
3. “Sickness comes on horseback but departs on foot.” ~Dutch Proverb
This is a somewhat amusing way to think about the fact that it’s often harder and takes longer to cure illnesses or treat conditions than it is to prevent them from happening in the first place by making small, healthy choices on a daily basis.
4. “Health is not simply the absence of sickness.” ~Hannah Green
Many health conditions are pretty obviously felt or seen by the average person – we know we need to go to the doctor if we’re in pain. But assuming that something is only wrong if you feel bad can be quite problematic when it comes to certain parts of your health, like that of your teeth and gums for example. You may not have a toothache, but that doesn’t always mean you have good oral health.
5. “The doctor of the future will no longer treat the human frame with drugs, but rather will cure and prevent disease with nutrition.” ~Thomas Edison
We still rely on medicine and medical treatments to help people, but it’s clear now that so much of our physical health (or lack thereof) can be traced back to what we eat. This is becoming even more relevant as we discover how much of the food we eat is loaded with chemicals and unnecessarily added ingredients that can cause serious, longterm health problems.
6. “The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don’t want, drink what you don’t like, and do what you’d rather not.” ~Mark Twain
It doesn’t always have to be true, but it’s important for us to recognize that taking care of ourselves is not always as pleasant as ignoring our health. Sure, some of us wish we could eat all of our favorite unhealthy foods and stay in shape by binge-watching Netflix but that’s just not possible.